My Amazon Store

Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

To be completely honest, when I heard that they were making another Pirates movie, I was a little skeptical. Alright, very skeptical. They've already made three, and that was pushing it, but a fourth? How much longer can Hollywood beat a dead horse?
BUT! I am happy to say that I was very wrong in my expectations. "The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" just might be the best Pirates movie yet. Mermaids, ships, swords, swashbuckling pirates, and even a missionary. There were two things that I really loved about this movie. The first one was that they portrayed the *Christian* missionary in a complimentary light. He was good, and had character, integrity and honor. He was NOT hypocritical, nor did he walk away from his faith. Such a portrayal of missionaries or Christian characters in movies is rare. The second thing that I loved was that they were able to re-invent the story in such a way that one doesn't miss Will and Elizabeth. We all know that we watched "The Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" the first time to see Orlando Bloom, but we watched it a second time, and all the subsequent movies for Johnny Depp. Now, this Pirates movie is all about Jack. Which is fine with me. I have really enjoyed watching Jack's character develop over the course of these movies, and this one was no exception.
Overall, I'm giving the story a 5. I think that is was highly original, and did a great job of building on the first movies, while at the same time re-inventing the story in such a way that they can continue the series.
How well it's made gets a 4. The effects were great, but there were some times when it just seemed obviously CG'd.
Sexual content gets a 3 1/2. There were a lot of innuendos and sexual jokes, and there were some inappropriate outfits. And the mermaids are very risque.
Language gets a 4. There were a handful of swear words scattered here and there.
Violence gets a 3 1/2. There was some fighting.
Overall, the movie gets a 4. It is very well made, interesting and fun. However, due to the violence and innuendos, I would not suggest anyone under the age of 15 watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment